Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program (BFP)
The City of Windsor makes improvements annually to the complex system of underground pipes, sewers and catch basins. However, these improvements alone cannot completely protect a home from basement flooding. With increasingly frequent and severe weather events related to climate change, it is essential that residents take the appropriate action to reduce the risk of basement flooding on their own private property.
On May 3, 2011, to assist homeowners, Windsor City Council approved a Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program. (Council Report)
What is the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program?
The City is offering residents a financial subsidy to install a sump pump with sump pump overflow and/or backwater valve(s) and/or disconnect foundation drains from the floor drain.
Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program at a Glance:
- The program is now being offered to all qualifying residents (City Wide).
- Applicants must not have back taxes owing to the City or overdue payments (If you are enrolled in a payment plan, you will be considered current for the purposes of this subsidy program).
- Overall funding for the program in 2011 is limited to $500,000. Subsidies for eligible work are subject to available funding and provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The Maximum Eligible Subsidy Limit is $2,800 per Home/Unit:
- Install backwater valve(s) (licensed plumber required) - Up to 80 percent of cost, ($1,000 maximum)
- Install sump pump with sump pump overflow and disconnect foundation drains to floor drains - Up to 80 percent of cost, ($1,750 maximum)
- Install only sump pump overflow to discharge outside to surface (applies to existing sump pumps only) - Up to 80 percent of cost, ($300 maximum)
- Install backwater valve and sump pump with sump pump overflow - Up to 80 percent of cost, ($2,800 maximum)
- Disconnect foundation drains from floor drain and/or dye testing and camera work as required - Up to 80 percent of cost, ($400 maximum)
- What this program does not cover:
- The replacement of an existing sump pump
- The upgrade of a sump pump
- The addition of another sump pump
- The installation of a sump pump when the foundation drains are already separated from the floor drain or sanitary sewer
- Work performed for which a permit cannot be obtained
- All eligible basement flooding protection work must be performed by a contractor/licensed plumber of master plumber. The plumber or master plumber should be able to present a current City of Windsor Licence. If you have any concerns about whether or not the plumber is licensed, please contact the City's Licensing Department at (519) 255-6200.
- If a backwater valve is installed by a contractor, a licensed plumber must certify its installation.
- If a sump pump is installed, please ensure the disconnection and capping of leads from the foundation drains to the floor drains.
- Any work performed by the homeowner themselves does not qualify for subsidy.
- Disputes with respect to qualifying work will be resolved by the City Engineer and/or the Chief Building Official or their designate.
- The contractor must use material or fittings that are approved by the Ontario Building Code.
- A building plumbing permit and an approved final inspection must be obtained for backwater valve and sump pump installations.
- The contractor must obtain the permit within 60 days of receiving Building Inspector approval to proceed with eligible work under the program.
More information about the program can be found in the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program Application.
When you have completed your application please email to email@example.com or mail to:
Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program
Engineering - Development, Projects and R.O.W.
350 City Hall Square West, Suite 302
Windsor, Ontario N9A 6S1
Visit our Flooding page for more information on how to reduce basement flooding.
Office of the City Engineer
350 City Hall Square West, 3rd Floor
Hours of Operation: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call the Manager of Administration at (519) 255-6257 ext. 6004.