Who Is Eligible?
- Each household member must be a Canadian Citizen, landed Immigrant, Indian Status (per Indian Act), Refugee or have Refugee Claimant status, with no outstanding deportation, departure, or exclusion order in effect. Proof of Residency Status must accompany the application.
- Any member of the household named in the application must not have been convicted of misrepresentation of income or been found by the Landlord and Tenant Board (formerly the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal) to have misrepresented their income for the purpose of receiving rent-geared-to-income housing within the last two years.
- Any member of the household named in the application must not owe rent or housing charge arrears to any federally, provincially or municipally funded housing groups in Ontario or must be actively adhering to an approved repayment schedule.
- Any member of the household named in the application that owns residential property suitable for year-round occupancy must agree to sell it within six months of being housed.
- At least one member of the household must be 16 years old or older and able to live independently (proof of age must accompany the application).
- All members of the household as defined must sign the application and consent. Also, if housed, all other forms and documents required by the Housing Provider must be signed by such members of the household as described or have it signed on their behalf by an approved designate (i.e. parent, guardian, person with power of attorney or authorization to complete an application and provide consent on behalf of an applicant). Proof of age must accompany the application.
- The number of bedrooms allocated to a household is dependent on the number of persons in the household for subsidized housing.
- Any member of the household eligible for subsidized housing must make reasonable efforts to pursue income if entitled to receive such income under the Ontario Works Act, 1997, Divorce Act (Canada), Employment Insurance Act (Canada), and any pension or other benefit entitlement from the Provincial and Federal government. Failure to make a reasonable effort to pursue such income may result in cancellation of the application, removal from the waiting list and, if housed, cancellation of subsidized rent.
Note: Special Priority RGI household member(s) are not required to pursue the specified document(s) or income(s) if the pursuit of the document(s) or income(s) will place member's safety at risk.
- All members of the household must report any change in the information provided in the application to the Central Housing Registry in writing and, if housed, to the housing provider within ten business days of the change occurring (i.e. change of address, telephone number, household size, type or amount of income). Failure to report changes may result in the cancellation of the application and removal from the waiting list and, if housed, cancellation of the subsidized rent. The reporting period may be allowed to be prolonged.
For further information, visit the Windsor Essex Community Housing Corporation website or contact:
Central Housing Registry-Windsor
2470 Dougall Avenue, Unit 6
Phone: (519) 254-6994
Fax: (519) 254-9166
Central Housing Registry-Essex County
15C Talbot Street
Phone: (519) 776-4631
Toll Free: 1 800 265-6947
Fax: (519) 776-5510
Housing and Children's Services
P.O. Box 428, Station A
Phone: For general information call 311. For detailed inquiries call (519) 255-5200 ext. 6240
Fax: (519) 256-7107