Delivery of Social Housing in Ontario
- In November 1999, the Federal and Provincial governments signed the Social Housing Agreement, allowing the province to administer Federal programs. In December 2000, the province passed the Social Housing Reform Act which authorized the transfer of social housing to the municipal Service Managers.
- On January 1, 2001, the Province of Ontario transferred the administration of the public housing portfolio to the Service Manager. The transfer of administration of the non-profit and cooperative housing portfolio followed on January 1, 2002. The current number of rent-geared-to-income (RGI) households receiving assistance and the supply of units modified for physically disabled access has been maintained at previous provincial levels.
- The total number of social housing units, managed by 39 independent Non-Profit Housing Corporations (referred to as Housing Providers) in Windsor and Essex County, totals 8,660. This represents:
- 3,535 Public Housing Units
- 2,458 Provincial Non-Profit housing units (former and current municipal, private and cooperative)
- 2,127 Federal Non-Profit housing units (2,043 Private Non-Profit and 84 Urban Native)
- 540 Rent Supplement units
Housing and Children's Services
P.O. Box 428, Station A
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call (519) 255-5200 Ext. 6240
Fax: (519) 256-7107