Moving permits are necessary when moving oversized loads on the public right-of-way within the City of Windsor. An oversized load is defined in the Highway Traffic Act of Ontario.
Obtaining a moving permit is a 2-step process involving the following steps:
1. Obtaining a Route Approval
An Application for Route Approval form must be completed at least 72 hours before the move and faxed to the Transportation Planning Division at (519) 973-5476. This form will explain all other required information and approvals needed before the permit can be issued. Contact information and instructions can be found on the 2nd page.
The approved application will be faxed to the applicant, the Engineering Department, and the Police Department (if required). For inquiries regarding the Application for Route Approval form, please call (519) 255-6727 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
2. Applying for a Moving Permit
Once the approved route application is received, the applicant must contact the Engineering Department to obtain the moving permit. Before the permit can be issued, the following must be provided by fax to (519) 255-9847 or in person:
- Moving Permit Application
- Insurance certificate with the Corporation of the City of Windsor listed as an additional insured, which states a minimum of $2,000,000 auto and general liability coverage, includes a Cross Liability Clause and a 30-day cancellation notice. This insurance certificate must be approved by the Risk Management Department. In order to expedite the insurance approval process, it is advised to submit the insurance certificate as soon as possible.
- Route Approval
- Any additional approvals as required from the route approval process.
- A permit fee, as per the City of Windsor's fee schedule, must be paid by either cheque or credit card (only VISA and MasterCard accepted) by phone or in person.
Development and Geomatics Branch
350 City Hall Square West, 3rd Floor
P. O. Box 1607
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquires, call (519) 255-6257 ext. 6359 or 6483.
Fax: (519) 255-9847