Per By-law 106-2010, effective August 3, 2010 and applicable to all new and currently outstanding Indemnity Deposits:
"Where a deposit has been paid in accordance with the provisions of By-law 106-2010 and remains unclaimed for a period of seven years, the City Treasurer may, at the request of the Chief Building Official, transfer to the general funds of the Corporation all such deposits against which no claim has been made, free of and from any and all claims whatsoever."
About Indemnity Deposits:
- An indemnity deposit is a financial security deposited at the time of the application for a Sewer Connection Permit. This deposit will pay for any damages that may occur to the public right-of-way during the course of the construction of the building and where the contractor is unwilling to repair these damages.
- Normally, at the completion of a construction project, the inspector inspects the public right-of-way. If the inspector notes that there are no damages to the right-of-way, he/she will complete the sewer connection permit and forward the permit to the office for processing. Indemnities take 45 days to be released to Finance for refund.
- At this point, the Cashier will request that the Finance Department refund the indemnity back to the payee. They will in turn mail out the refund cheque to the address that was given at the time the indemnity was paid. This process can take approximately two weeks. The refund cheque will not be issued over the counter.
- If the inspector finds defects, they will notify the contractor or holder of the permit of these damages and request that they be repaired.
- If the repairs are not made within 30 days, the Inspector will notify the City Engineer and the deposit will be seized. The repairs to the public right-of-way will be carried out and the costs thereof deducted from the indemnity deposit.
- In the event that the indemnity deposit is insufficient to cover the cost of the repairs, the holder of the permit will be invoiced for the remaining costs.
350 City Hall Square West, 3rd Floor
P. O. Box 1607
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquires, call (519) 255-6257.
Fax: (519) 255-9847