The Bicycle Use Master Plan
(BUMP) is a statement of the City of Windsor's commitment to develop a visible and connected cycling network that is easily accessible, safe and actively used by all types of cyclists. The Plan emphasizes integrating, enhancing and expanding Windsor's existing on- and off-road cycling network, facilitating the use of bicycles for commuting, leisure and tourism, and providing a genuine transportation alternative to the use of motor vehicles. BUMP also focuses on topics such as cycling awareness and education, the cycling-transit link, and end-of-trip facilities.
Under the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment process, the implementation of bicycle paths or bicycle lanes within the existing right-of-way are considered pre-approved projects with public notification (Schedule A+ project). Public notification methods may vary and are project specific. A list of these projects is available on the Completed Environmental Assessments page.
News and Upcoming Events
- June 2016 has been proclaimed Bike Month.
- The 2016 Bike to Work event is on Friday, June 3rd. Join the Windsor Bicycling Committee at Optimist Memorial Park (1075 Ypres Avenue) at 7:15 a.m. where the rides starts to the CBC Studio (825 Riverside Drive West) for a free breakfast. See the media release for more information.
- The City of Windsor's application to the Ontario Municipal Cycling Infrastructure Program (OMCIP) was successful in securing grant funding. See the news release for more information.
- On June 2, 2015, Ontario passed the Making Ontario's Road Safer Act to improve road safety. For details on the Act, see the news release.
- See the Windsor Loop page for information related to the proposed Active Transportation Facilities on Cabana Road (Northway Avenue to Walker Road).
Gear Up and Go
The contest runs from April 24, 2016 to September 5, 2016. For more information and to register, visit GearUpandGo.ca.
Windsor Police has created a bicycle registration to help protect bicycles owned by residents of Windsor and the surrounding area, especially citizens that commute to Windsor by bicycle. This program will increase the chances of having your bicycle returned to you if it is lost or stolen.
Please visit the Windsor Police Bicycle Registry page for more information and to register your bike or e-bike today!
Tap Water Refilling Stations
The City of Windsor is working with the Blue W Program to identify local businesses and public facilities that will refill your reusable bottle with tap water, free of charge.
Finding a Blue W location is easy:
- Look for the Blue W sign posted in storefronts; or
- Go to BlueW.org and use the mapping tool (computers and smart phones supported). Upon entering your location details, the three closest Blue W sites will appear.
Bicycle Friendly Communities Bronze Award
Bike Locker Rentals
Monthly rentals are available at the Pelissier Street parking garage. See the Bike Locker Rental Poster for more information.
Transportation Planning Division
1266 McDougall Street
Hours of Operation: 8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call (519) 255-6248.