Huron Lodge, a state-of-the-art long-term care facility, opened its doors on Saturday, April 14, 2007 when 224 residents moved into their new home.[Pictured at right: Residents, family members, volunteers, and staff attended meetings at the former Huron Lodge on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 where Lucie Lombardo, Administrator, announced the moving date.]
style="width: 100%">About the Facility
The 177,000 square foot building, which is divided into seven distinct living areas, features new private bedrooms, some with private baths and others with semi-private baths. Large windows provide exterior views with natural lighting to complement the recessed interior lighting fixtures. The beds are all electric, allowing residents to move in and out of bed without assistance if desired.
The design for Huron Lodge included sophisticated patient communication and security systems including secure
card access for building entrances and exits, a patient wander guard system, a nurse call system for patient response, and emergency power provided by a diesel generator.
In addition, the centre core of the facility provides common areas including an auditorium, chapel, café, craft room, library, hairdressing salon, lounges, and activity areas. Three elevators provide access to the centre core from all four building levels.
Thirty-two residents live in each residential area ensuring a sense of community. Each doorway is individually accented with a memory box, displaying treasures familiar to the resident. The memory box will help orient the residents in their new home and also provide a sense of familiarity.
- Four-story structure with a penthouse and basement
- Three elevators to service all floors
- State of the art lifts in each resident’s room and
- the tub and shower room
- Patient wander guard system to ensure the safety of residents
- Entrance and exit card access for the facility and resident home areas
Nurse call system using integrated pagers and wireless phones
- 400kW diesel generator for
Secured wing on the ground floor complete with a secured garden
- New kitchens equipped with the latest food service appliances and
- Storm water cistern system to collect water for site irrigation
- Modern laundry facilities
- Seven home area kitchens for light snacks
- Main lounge
- Craft room
- Dental facilities
- Hairdressing salon
- Activity Areas
- Therapy room
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call (519) 253-6060.
Fax: (519) 977-8027