Monuments
Skip to main content Skip to navigation Skip to footer

Monuments

A Secret Garden

A Secret Garden dedicated to Rev’d “Ken” Jaggs SSC June 14th 1998

Anchor Memorial

Dedicated to the men and women who served on the Royal Canadian Navy and the Canadian Merchant Navy.
World War I: 1914 - 1918
World War II: 1939 - 1945
Korean War: 1950 - 1953
Canadian...

Ancient Jesuit Pear Trees

In 1749, the area's first settler, Charles Chauvin, planted near this spot 12 Jesuit pear trees imported from his native France - one for each of the Apostles of Christ. Graftings from those ancient t...

Armillary Sphere Sundial

Armillary sphere sundial donated by Royal Canadian Legion Zone A1 1996.

Blue Heron Lake Bridge

This bridge was designed and built through the generous volunteer efforts of the following community-minded companies: Dedicated September 26, 1999. City of Windsor Department of Parks and Recreation.

Boer War Monument

Inscribed on this tablet are the names of the volunteers, residents of the County of Essex, who served in the British Army, during the war in South Africa.

A.D. 1899 - 1902
The Boer War...

Cairn to Pipe Major J. Copland

This memorial dedicated in the Centennial Year 1967 in memory of W.O.I. Pipe Major J. (Jock) Copland M.B.E. of the Essex and Kent Scottish Regiment 1st Battalion by the Warrant Officers and Chief Pett...

Canadian Vietnam Veterans Memorial

To the City of Windsor and its Citizens. Thank you for opening your arms to embrace your countrymen and bring Canada's sons home.-MACV7/2/1995 Donated by MACV

Canoe

Honoring the French Canadian heritage in this area, the canoe is part of a monument honoring the settlement of this area by French Canadians.

Century Rock

Centennial of Confederation Windsor Centennial Park.
Erected by the City of Windsor in permanent commemoration of the Centennial of Confederation in Canada in 1967. Construction was made possible...

City Crests

The coat of arms of Canada, with those of France and England to the left and right.

City Hall Square Fountains

The four fountains in this Heritage Garden commemorate four phases in the development of Windsor Civic Square:
 
French Farms c1750
While aboriginal peoples inhabited this area for thous...

Copernicus Sundial

Astrolabium & Sundial of M. Kopernik
Copernicus 1473 - 1543 Father of modern astronomy. Polish Astronomer of the University of Cracow who calculated the basic fundamentals of modern astronomy...

Crimean War Cannon

Sebastopol 1855 Russian cannon used in 1855 during the Crimean War.

Dieppe Plaque

Named after Dieppe, France, where the Essex Scottish Regiment of Windsor, along with other units of the 2nd Canadian Division made an assault landing on August 19, 1942.The 5,000-man force, which incl...

District Courthouse and Gaol Plaque

“When the British withdrew from Detroit in 1796, they transferred the courts of the Western District to Sandwich (Windsor). An abandoned blockhouse, relocated from Chatham, served briefly as the court...

Eternal Flame

They grow not oldas we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them
nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
and in the morning
We will remember them.
 
Lawre...

Fight for the Living

In memory of workers who have been injured or die on the job. Every year in Ontario an average of 250 men and women die on the job. Another 8,000 die of occupational disease. There are more than 400,0...

Fleming Channel Plaque

Named in memory of the late Oscar Ernest Fleming, K.C., one of the founders of the St. Lawrence Waterway whose work over many years, resulted in deepening and extending the Great Lakes system.

Floral Compass

The geographical location of the US at this point lies due north of Canada. Windsor, Ontario.

Fred Burr Iris Garden

Member of Provincial Parliament 1967 - 1977.Fred Burr was a noted iris enthusiast and hybridizer, and all irises in the garden were donated by the Burr Family. Dedicated on July 16, 1998 on the 60th w...

French Settlers Plaque

French Settlement on the South Shore
Windsor is the oldest known site of continuous settlement in Ontario. The government of New France, anxious to increase its presence on the Detroit River, offe...

Generations

Since the dawn of the 20th century, countless families such as the Jacques, Gaudettes, and McGuires- whose descendants are depicted here- have lent their skills to Canada’s auto industry. This sculptu...

Greening of the Riverfront - Rotary International

The Greening of the Riverfront, 1988
The replanting of Carolinian Forest trees (native to this area) was a project of the Rotary Club of Windsor (1918). This tribute to the citizens of Windsor and...

Helen Goodwin Shelter

In 1996, the Goodwin family donated $12,000 for a picnic shelter in Memorial Park. The donation represented a memorial for John Goodwin's wife, Helen. The Goodwins lived in Windsor for a number of yea...

Herb Gray Plaque

Named in honour of the Honourable Herb Gray, M.P., on August 13, 1995 in appreciation of his outstanding contribution to the City of Windsor for his many years of dedicated service to its citizens. So...

Holodomor Monument

The Holodomor was a man-made famine perpetrated by Joseph Stalin in the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic in 1932 and 1933 that killed approximately 10 million Ukrainians. During the famine, which i...

International Waterway Marker

Installed by the US Corps of Engineers as an international waterway marker on the Detroit River.

Jackson Park Gates

Architects – Pennington and Boyde

Jesuit Mission to the Hurons Plaque

In 1728 a mission to the Huron Indians was established near Fort Pontchartrain (Detroit) by Father Armand de la Richardie, S.J. The mission was moved to Bois Blanc Island and the adjacent mainland in...

Jesuit Missionaries Cross

The original cross was erected by the Jesuit Missionaries, and was re-enacted at the Old Boys Reunion August 1909.This permanent cross was erected by the Border Cities Old Boys in August 1922.

Knights of Columus Peace Monument

Erected in Canada's Centennial Year of 1967 by the Knights of Columbus of Ontario as an inspiration to world peace.1867-1967​.

Land, Sea, and Air Monument

Lest we forget.

WWI 1914-1918
WWII 1939-1945
War Pensioners of Canada
Rose City Branch
Dedicated this 8th day of May, 1998
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
The City of Roses

Lanspeary Park Bandstand

Architects- Cobbelston, 1926

Lanspeary Park Gates

Erected in honor of William Lanspeary Chairman of park board who created the establishment of parks throughout the city.

Little River Cleanup Plaque

May 8, 1999
10th Anniversary of the first cleanup crusade of Little River.

Little River Corridor Bridges

Little River Corridor BridgesThis bridge is constructed of new and recycled materials. It was designed and built through the generous volunteer efforts of a number of community-minded companies.
D...

Little River Corridor Bridges 100th Anniversary Plaque

In 1992, a forest of 100 trees, which include Blue Ash, Sassafras, Kentucky Coffee tree and many others, was planted around the pond along with a plaque to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Cit...

Masonic Memorial

In memory of freemasons from Windsor and Essex County who gave their lives in defense of our country and freedom.

Matthew Rodzik Park Fountain

Matthew RodzikWindsor, Ontario
Born December 6, 1916
Died November 13, 1991
 
Entrepreneur
Pioneer in the metal stamping business in Windsor
Founding Chairman
National Auto...

Matthew Rodzik Park Gates

Matthew Rodzik provided his sons with strength wisdom, courage and love to face the world.
Don and John
A.D. 1997

Memorial Cenotaph

In memory of the men of Sandwich who gave their lives for humanity in the Great War and in honour of those who daring to die survived. Erected by the Baby Chapter, I.O.D.E.


 

<...

Mic Mac Park Gates

Opened July 19, 1930

Sandwich Park Board
1927-1935

Noon Mark

The center line of the Noon Mark points to true north, and is aligned along the meridian of the longitude North 83 degrees, 01 minutes, 34.03 seconds West. When the sun totally illuminates the narrow...

Peace Fountain

The Peace Fountain is the only international floating fountain in the world, which can propel water 70 feet in the air and displays a light show at night.

Queen Elizabeth II Dedicated Tree

Commemorating the Coronation of Her Majesty
Queen Elizabeth II. 
June 2nd, 1953
Greater Windsor Horticulture Society

Queen Victoria Fountain

To commemorate the completion of the sixtieth year of the glorious reign of her most gracious majesty Queen Victoria. The gift of Hiram Walker & Sons Limited to the people of Walkerville. MDCCCXCV...

Queen Victoria's 35th Birthday Mural

Alexander Mackenzie – and Brother (contractors) Albert H. Jordan, Architect

 
The laying of the cornerstone for the 4th Courthouse to stand on this site. Dignitaries ~ Hon. Archibald Macl...

RAF-RCAF Monument

RAF/RCAF Monument featuring three World War II scale model aircraft.
Created by local sculptor Mark Williams, the monument includes etched monuments each featuring a one of the major planes from...

Realtor Park Gates

Donated by the members of the Windsor-Essex County Real Estate Board with support from the Ontario Real Estate Association Foundation.

Reaume Park Plaque

Joseph L. Reaume1863-1930
Reaume Park is named after Joseph L. Reaume, a generous businessman who donated this land to the community. Reaume’s family was one of the first to settle this area of Es...

Robert Burns Statue

Robert Burns
1759 - 1796
Scotland's National Poet
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne!
Pre...

Rotary International and Ganatchio Park Plaques

A joint project of the City of Windsor, the Province of Ontario, and the Rotary Club of Windsor-St. Clair 
Architect: W.A. Fraser
M.R.A.I.C.Contractor:  Oscar Construction Co. Ltd.

Rotary Monument

The Rotary Monument is a decorative garden thanking the Windsor Rotary Club 1918 for all of its contributions over the years to the restoration of Willistead. The garden features pie-shaped gardens fo...

Silver Cross Monument

In memory of the service personnel of World Wars I, II, Korea and Peacekeeping from Windsor and Essex County who gave their today for our tomorrow. Sponsored by Windsor Chapter Remembrance Association...

Soroptimists Garden

Soroptimist International of Windsor celebrates 50 years of service to the community. The Committee and the project chair Alexandra Budisavljevic gratefully acknowledge the assistance of the listed do...

Spirit of Windsor Engine 5588

This Pacific Type 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive is dedicated to the memory of glorious Steam Train Canadian Railroading and to the citizens of Windsor.No.5588 was built in the Montreal Locomotive Works in 19...

The Essex County War Memorial

The Essex County War Memorial Cenotaph was erected as a fitting tribute to those men of Essex County who laid down their lives in the Great War of 1914-1918. It was constructed of Canadian Pink Granit...

The Great Western Railway - Plaque

"The main line of "The Great Western," from Niagara Falls through Hamilton and London to Windsor, was opened in 1854. The company extended its line from Hamilton to Toronto in 1855, fro...

The Right Honourable Paul Martin Gardens

Established in 1995-1996, the Paul Martin Garden honours one of Windsor's most famous citizens, Paul Martin. He served as Canada's foreign minister, held the office of High Commissioner to Great Brita...

The Sandwich Windmill

In the 18th Century, numerous wind-powered gristmills stood on the shore of the Detroit River between Sandwich and Tecumseh. Jacques Baby's mill was located near this site on lot #2 at the foot of Mil...

The Siege of Detroit Plaque

Shortly after the founding of Detroit in 1701 a village of Ottawa Indians was established on the south shore of the river in this vicinity, and its inhabitants lived on friendly terms with the French...

Totem Pole

In 1982, the Windsor St. Clair Rotary assisted in funding the creation of the Sand Point Beach totem pole. It was carved by a Nootkon Native, Wikinanish, in 22 weeks of work over 14 months of time. Th...

Tower of Freedom

Tower of Freedom, created by sculptor Ed Dwight, honours the flight of American slaves into freedom on the Underground Railroad. The Underground Railroad is bi-nationally commemorated by two monuments...

Warren P. Bolton Memorial Rose Garden

In memory of the late Windsor Utilities Commissioner Warren P. Bolton who manifested love and interest for this project and who so conscientiously served the Commission.
1943 - 1955.

William Dummer Powell Plaque

William Dummer Powell

1755-1834
 
“The first professionally trained lawyer appointed a judge in what is now Ontario, Powell was born in Boston and educated abroad. He opened a legal p...

Willistead Manor Plaque

In Memoriam this park and buildings presented to the people of Walkerville in memory of E. Chandler Walker by the heirs of his devoted brothers Franklin H. Walker and J. Harrington Walker.

A....

Willistead Manor Porch

This Neo-Grecian structure formed part of the front porch of Hiram Walker's home built in 1805 at Fort and Shelby Streets in Detroit. When the house was being torn down in 1914, Edward Chandler Walker...

World War 2 Air Force

A suitable memorial featuring replicas of a World War II Hurricane and Spitfire was installed in Jackson Park as a memorial to the war veterans. Erected in 2005.
Presently the Lancaster Bomber is...