Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Home > City Hall > Legal Services > Damage Claim Form

Legal Services

Print friendly

Damage Claim Form

If you have suffered a loss to your property or your vehicle, we suggest that you contact your own insurer, depending on the type of loss.  If your insurer believes that the City is responsible for your damage, your insurer may seek compensation on your behalf as stipulated in your insurance policy.

If you have suffered a loss for which you feel the City is responsible, you may submit a Damage Claim Form to Council Services.

It is strongly recommended that as much pertinent information as possible gets submitted with the Damage Claim Form (for example: details of the loss, location, pictures, estimates, and any receipts that may assist in assessing your claim.

Claims should be submitted as soon as possible to Council Services (350 City Hall Square West), or a Customer Care Centre.  It is a requirement under the Municipal Act, 2001, that the City Clerk be given written notice of injury claims relating to the state of repair of a road, sidewalk, or bring, within ten (10) days of the injury occurring.  Notice may be given in person, or sent by registered mail to:

  • Council Services Department, Attn. City Clerk
    P.O. Box 1607, 350 City Hall Square, Room 203
    Windsor, ON N9A 6S1 

Once a claim is received, Council Services administratively processes the claim and forwards it to the Risk Management Division for review and assessment.

The Risk Management Division will aim to contact your within ten (10) business days.

If you do not receive a confirmation card or hear from the Risk Management Division within approximately ten (10) business days after submitting the claim, you may contact the Risk Management Division directly.

Please be advised the City will not be held responsible to pay for your loss unless you can prove the City has committed a negligent act or omission which resulted in injury or damage.  The City of Windsor only compensates when it is legally liable for the damage sustained.  This approach helps to reduce costs for the taxpaying public - who ultimately bear the cost of these claims.

If a claims for monetary compensation is approved, you will be contacted directly by the Risk Management Division. This may take up to six (6) weeks.

Download the form: 

For general information, call 311. For specific inquiries regarding submitting a damage claim, call:

Council Services Department
Phone: (519) 255-6211
Fax: (519) 255-6868

For specific information regarding the status of your previously submitted damage claim, call:

Risk Management Division
Phone:(519) 255-6100 Ext. 6195 or Ext. 6197