Firefighter Recruitment - General Information
The Recruitment Process
Generally, City of Windsor Firefighter recruitment takes place on a two-year cycle. While hiring can take place at any point, applications during the two-year interval are only considered from those submitted during the most recent designated recruitment period.
The information contained on this website is meant to assist candidates interested in applying for the City of Windsor Firefighter recruitment. It is subject to change pending various factors involved in the recruitment process, budget, etc.
- The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) have recently been updated to reflect the upcoming Firefighter Recruitment Process. Information previously contained on this website regarding Firefighter recruitment may not have been applicable to the current recruitment process and should be disregarded.
The following outlines our anticipated process and the order in which we will complete this recruitment. Note that we have anticipated dates for each stage, providing applicants with a frame of reference on the anticipated recruitment. The City of Windsor's recruitment process is subject to change.
||Advertisement (Windsor Star/citywindsor.ca)
||Saturday May 27, 2017 to Wednesday June 7, 2017 at 12pm (noon)|
Online Application Process will close
|Wednesday June 7, 2017 at 12pm (Noon)|
||Thursday June 8, 2017 to Monday June 12, 2017|
||Payment Schedule - Aptitude and Assessment testing
||Thursday June 15, 2017 8am to Wednesday June 21, 2017 at 6pm|
||Aptitude and Assessment tests
||Tuesday July 25, 2017|
Wednesday July 26, 2017
Thursday July 27, 2017
Friday July 28, 2017 (possible alternate date)
||Post test results (pass/fail) on citywindsor.ca
||Friday August 11, 2017|
||Contact candidates who will move on to Physical Fitness test
||Friday August 11, 2017 to Monday August 14, 2017|
||Registration and payment schedule
|| Wednesday August 16, 2017 to Monday August 21, 2017 (payment due upon arriving for Physical Fitness test)|
||Physical Fitness testing
||Wednesday September 6, 2017 to Friday September 8, 2017 in Windsor, Ontario|
Alternate test date:
- Sunday September 10, 2017 in Toronto, Ontario (possibly on Saturday September 9, 2017)
||Post physical test results (pass/fail) on citywindsor.ca
||Thursday September 21, 2017 to Friday September 22, 2017|
||Request candidate resumes for those who have passed Physical Fitness testing
||Thursday September 21, 2017 to Friday September 22, 2017|
||Short listing of candidates
||Wednesday September 27, 2017 to Monday October 2, 2017|
||Wednesday October 18, 2017 to Tuesday October 31, 2017|
||Offer of Employment
||Monday November 27, 2017 to Friday December 15, 2017|
||Processing of candidates offered employment
||Friday December 15, 2017 to Thursday March 15, 2018|
Please note, failure to complete or pass any step will eliminate an applicant from the current competition.
Step 1 - Advertisement
The City of Windsor will advertise in The Windsor Star on May 27, 2017 and online for the period of application availability as indicated in the table above.
Step 2 - Application available online
In order to apply for the Firefighter recruitment, applications will only be accepted online for the period of application availability as indicated in the table above. No late applications will be accepted.
Step 3 - Application review
- At the time of application, must be 18 years of age or older
- At the time of application, must have proof of an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency and any other education documents deemed necessary by the Corporation at time of hire
- At the time of application, applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada (i.e., Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, legal permanent residence, birth certificate or landed immigration documentation)
- At the time of hire, must have proof of a valid and lawful Class "D" Ontario Driver's License with "Z" endorsement, in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle and provide a driver's abstract as a condition of employment
- Successful completion of an Aptitude Test, Assessment Test, Physical Test, and interview(s)
- Satisfactory police clearance at the applicant's expense at time of hire
- Satisfactory driver's abstract at the applicant's expense at time of hire
- Satisfactory references from current and/or previous employers at time of hire
- Satisfactory medical assessment as outlined by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standards 1582 for Firefighters at the Corporation's expense; and any other testing and/or examination, which may be required by the medical practitioner and/or determined by the City of Windsor at time of hire
- Compliance with the Family Relationship Procedure and the Employment Policy
- Satisfactory completion of a 12-month probationary period of employment
- Observance of the rules, regulations, instructions, benefits and any conditions governing employment with the Corporation as may be in effect at the time of recruitment and/or employment, or established by the Corporation of the City of Windsor at any subsequent time
The application process will review all applications, ensuring they meet the minimum eligibility requirements in order to move forward in the process. Those applicants who meet the initial requirements at the time of application will be contacted by the City of Windsor informing them of the next step(s) they will have to undertake in the process in order to continue in the competition.
Step 4 - Payment Schedule - Aptitude and Assessment testing
The CPS-Entry Firefighter Test (Aptitude) and the OS-Firefighting Assessment Test will be conducted in the time period as indicated above.
For those who qualify, there is a fee to write the tests. The non-refundable fee is $200.00 including H.S.T. for the written Aptitude and Assessment tests. Payment will be made in accordance with the procedures established by the service provider, Gledhill/Shaw Enterprises. Late payments will not be accepted. Applicants will be contacted by email, telephone, or written correspondence with all of the details pertaining to the test registration and payment process.
Step 5 - Aptitude and Assessment testing
Testing will take place according to the time schedule above. For more information on the Aptitude and Assessment tests, please review the appropriate section(s) in the Windsor Firefighter Recruitment FAQ
Step 6 - Post test results
Step 7 - Contact candidates who will move on to Physical Fitness test
For those applicants who pass both the Aptitude and Assessment tests, the City of Windsor will contact them with information regarding the Physical Fitness Test and the pertinent details of the test.
Step 8 - Payment Schedule - Physical Fitness testing
The non-refundable fee for this test is $200.00 including H.S.T. Payment will be made in accordance with the procedures established by the service provider, Gledhill/Shaw Enterprises. Late payments will not be accepted. Applicants will be contacted by email, telephone, or written correspondence with all details pertaining to test registration and the payment process.
Step 9 - Physical Fitness testing
The Physical Fitness testing will take place during the dates indicated in the table above. The test will be the York University Firefighter Fitness Test developed by Dr. Norman Gledhill. For more information on the Physical Fitness Test, please review the appropriate section(s) in the Windsor Firefighter Recruitment FAQ
Step 10 - Request candidate resumes for those who have passed Physical Fitness testing
Those candidates who have successfully completed all of the testing components will be requested to submit a resume. The City of Windsor will notify those successful candidates through email, telephone, or written correspondence. The request will be made in accordance with the dates indicated in the table above.
Step 11 - Short-listing of candidates
Windsor Fire & Rescue Services, in conjunction with the Human Resources department, will determine the number of candidates moving forward in the interview process. An interview(s) may not be offered to all candidates who have successfully passed the written and physical tests. The number of candidates short-listed for an interview will depend on the number of applicants, timelines, and budgetary considerations.
Step 12 - Interviews
The interview(s) will be conducted by a panel comprised of both Windsor Fire & Rescue and Human Resources personnel. Interview(s) will be conducted during the dates shown in the table above. For more information on the interview, please review the appropriate section(s) in the Windsor Firefighter Recruitment FAQ page.
Step 13 - Offer of Employment
For more information on the Offer of Employment, please review the appropriate section(s) in the Windsor Firefighter Recruitment FAQ page.
Step 14 - Processing of candidates offered employment
For more information on processing of candidates offered employment, please review the appropriate section(s) in the Windsor Firefighter Recruitment FAQ page.
Step 15 - Hire Date - commencement of training program/probationary period
For more information on the commencement of the training program and probationary period, please review the appropriate section(s) in the Windsor Firefighter Recruitment FAQ page.
Windsor Fire & Rescue Services may select and recommend a certain number of applicants as Probationary Firefighter recruits. There is no guarantee that any given number will always be selected during each recruitment period. In fact, Windsor Fire & Rescue Services may not hire Probationary Firefighter recruits depending on budgetary and other factors.
For general information, contact 311.
For detailed inquiries, contact:
Human Resources Department
400 City Hall Square East, Suite 408
Windsor, Ontario N9A 7K6
Phone: (519) 255-6515
Fax: (519) 255-6504
TTY: (519) 255-6685